- Leverage to Technology Readiness Level (TRL) 6 for the oxyfuel capture technology of cement plants and three fundamentally different post combustion capture technologies, all of them with a targeted capture rate of 90%;
- Identify the CO2 capture technologies with the greatest potential to be retrofitted to existing cement plants in a cost and resource-effective manner, maintaining product quality and environmental compatibility;
- Formulate a techno-economic decision-basis for CO2 capture implementation in the cement industry, where the current uncertainty regarding CO2 capture cost is reduced by at least 50%.
For successful large-scale deployment of CO2 capture in the cement industry, technologies must be developed beyond the current state of the art. In order to bring the most high potential retrofittable CO2 capture technologies to a higher TRL level and closer to implementation, CEMCAP aims to:
- Describe the routes for the development required to close technology gaps for CO2 capture from cement and assist technology suppliers along the related innovation chains.
- Identify and follow up minimum five potential innovations springing from CEMCAP research. Technologies suitable for CO2 capture retrofit are focused on in CEMCAP, because cement plants typically have a lifetime of as long as 30-50 years. However, the results from CEMCAP will enable looking beyond this horizon. Therefore, CEMCAP intends to create pathways for the low to near-zero CO2 emission cement production of the future.