Cement markets, regional markets and the international environment

In Germany, roughly 26.6 million tonnes of cement were used in 2015. Imports – primarily from the European neighbours – constituted close to 5 percent at 1.3 million tonnes. At around 6.6 tonnes, the German producers exported around five times as much cement. 

About one third of the cement used domestically (2015: 30.7 percent) is employed in the construction of housing. The remainder distribute more or less evenly among non-housing buildings (2015: about 34.3 percent; particularly office and factory buildings) and civil engineering (2015: 35.0 percent). Sorted by usage, the majority share (2015: 55.4 percent) is used for production of in-situ concrete (primarily ready-mixed concrete at almost 92 percent, with the remaining 8 percent being site-mixed concrete). At slightly less than one third of the cement demand (28.9 percent), the manufacture of precast concrete components is also of high significance. 

Although Germany’s per-capita consumption of cement (2015: 327 kg) ranks low in comparison to the other important industrialised and threshold countries, Germany comes in at position 16 in the world cement production rankings. In the European context, Germany is the largest cement producer. Highly productive and supplying high-quality products, the German internationally oriented construction-material corporations are moving into the global markets especially through direct investment in sites around the world. The successful international business also offers the companies the chance to consolidate against economy-related risks through geographic diversification and thus serves too to stabilise the domestic cement-production sector. 

Nonetheless, the national cement industry is increasingly under pressure from competition due to dropping international transport rates and lower production costs especially overseas. It is for this reason that the cement industry constantly reacts with great sensitivity to the impairment of national and European boundary conditions such as excessively stringent climate protection regulations or government-induced increases in energy prices.

Contact

Manuel Mohr

Manuel Mohr

Phone:
+49-30-2 80 02-100

Fax:
+49-30-2 80 02-250